HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
308-12-023  <<  308-12-025 >>   308-12-028

PDFWAC 308-12-025

What qualifications do I need to meet for initial licensure?

If you are not licensed in another jurisdiction, your combination of education and experience will determine what you need to do to get your license (see the chart below). To become licensed, register through NCARB and they will guide you through both the AXP and the ARE.
(1) If you have an NAAB accredited architectural degree, or are enrolled in an IPAL program, you must complete the AXP and the ARE. The board also requires a review of Washington's laws and rules relating to the practice of architecture.
(2) If you do not have an NAAB accredited architectural degree, you must have:
(a) A high school diploma or equivalent;
(b) You must complete the ARE; and
(c) You must have at least eight years' practical architectural work experience that includes the completion of the AXP.
(i) At least three of these years of work experience must be under the direct supervision of a licensed architect and be completed outside of the experience reported in the AXP.
(ii) The remaining three years can be any combination of the following as approved by the board:
(A) Postsecondary education courses in architecture, architectural technology or a related field including, but not limited to, environmental design; urban planning; landscape architecture; construction management; civil engineering; naval architecture; interior architecture; other fields as determined by the board.
(B) A year consists of three quarters (45 credit hours), or two semesters (30 credit hours), or as otherwise defined by the postsecondary school attended. You may earn a partial year of experience as follows: Each quarter (15 credits) completed equals four months of experience; each semester (15 credits) completed equals six months of experience. Experience will not be awarded for increments less than 15 credits or its equivalent.
(iii) Practical architectural work experience may be accrued simultaneously while earning postsecondary educational credit.
Part-time work will accrue on a prorated basis.
(3) The board also requires satisfactory completion of the Washington state law review exam.
Architect – Draft rule changes
Education type
Accredited professional degree (B.Arch or M.Arch) Or Enrolled in IPAL
An equivalent degree, awarded by EESA (education evaluation services for architects) for candidates from a nonaccredited U.S. architectural school or a foreign architectural school
A preprofessional degree in architecture (typically four-years) from a program offering an accredited degree
Postsecondary study in architecture or related fields, with passing grades, in increments of one year, will receive up to three years credit
A degree in architectural technology (typically a two-year community college or trade school degree)
High school diploma or equivalent
Practical architectural work experience
Gained during AXP
AXP PLUS Two additional years under the direct supervision of an architect
AXP PLUS Three or more additional years depending on your education credit
AXP PLUS Four additional years
AXP PLUS Six additional years
Three of these additional years must be under the direct supervision of an architect
After graduating high school, contact NCARB to enroll in AXP and begin reporting experience
When to apply to take the ARE
You can start taking the ARE through NCARB while enrolled in AXP or actively participating in an NCARB-accepted Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL) option within a NAAB-accredited professional degree program in architecture while enrolled in AXP
After completing and submitting the board's official application form with payment contact NCARB to register for the ARE
When can you get your license
Apply to the board after you have completed your AXP and ARE
Apply to the board after you have met the education and/or experience requirements and have completed the AXP and ARE
Additional materials
All candidates must complete the Washington law review
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.08.340. WSR 21-01-127, § 308-12-025, filed 12/15/20, effective 1/15/21. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.08.340 and 43.24.086. WSR 11-11-019, § 308-12-025, filed 5/9/11, effective 7/1/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.96.060. WSR 07-05-040, § 308-12-025, filed 2/15/07, effective 3/18/07. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.08.340. WSR 98-20-061, § 308-12-025, filed 10/2/98, effective 11/2/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.08.350(2). WSR 97-03-121, § 308-12-025, filed 1/21/97, effective 2/21/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.08.340. WSR 95-04-080, § 308-12-025, filed 1/31/95, effective 3/3/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.08.360. WSR 89-17-038 (Order PM 857), § 308-12-025, filed 8/10/89, effective 9/10/89. Statutory Authority: 1985 c 37 § 5. WSR 85-21-065 (Order PL 560), § 308-12-025, filed 10/17/85.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group