HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
388-466-0005  <<  388-466-0120 >>   388-466-0140

PDFWAC 388-466-0120

Refugee cash assistance (RCA).

(1) Who can apply for refugee cash assistance (RCA)?
Anyone can apply to the department of social and health services (DSHS) for refugee cash assistance and have their eligibility determined within 30 days.
(2) How do I know if I qualify for RCA?
You may be eligible for RCA if you meet all of the following conditions:
(a) You have resided in the United States for less than 12 months;
(b) You meet the immigration status requirements of WAC 388-466-0005;
(c) You meet the income and resource requirements under chapters 388-450 and 388-470 WAC;
(d) You meet the work and training requirements of WAC 388-466-0150; and
(e) You provide the name of the voluntary agency (VOLAG) which helped bring you to this country.
(3) What are the other reasons for not being eligible for RCA?
You may not be able to get RCA if you:
(a) Are eligible for temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) or supplemental security income (SSI); or
(b) Have been denied TANF due to your refusal to meet TANF eligibility requirements; or
(c) Are employable and have voluntarily quit or refused to accept a bona fide offer of employment within 30 consecutive days immediately prior to your application for RCA; or
(d) Are a full-time student in a college or university.
(4) If I am an asylee, what date will be used as an entry date?
If you are an asylee, your entry date will be the date that your asylum status is granted. For example: You entered the United States on December 1, 1999, as a tourist, then applied for asylum on April 1, 2000, interviewed with the asylum office on July 1, 2000, and were granted asylum on September 1, 2000. Your entry date is September 1, 2000. On September 1, 2000, you may be eligible for refugee cash assistance.
(5) If I am a victim of human trafficking, what kind of documentation do I need to provide to be eligible for RCA?
You are eligible for RCA to the same extent as a refugee if you are:
(a) An adult victim, 18 years of age or older, you provide the original certification letter from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and you meet eligibility requirements in subsections (2)(c) and (d) of this section. You do not have to provide any other documentation of your immigration status. Your entry date will be the date on your certification letter;
(b) A child victim under the age of 18, in which case you do not need to be certified. DHHS issues a special letter for children. Children also have to meet income eligibility requirement;
(c) A family member of a certified victim of human trafficking, you have a T-2, T-3, T-4, or T-5 Visa (Derivative T-Visas), and you meet the eligibility requirements in subsections (2)(c) and (d) of this section.
(6) Does getting a onetime cash grant from a voluntary agency (VOLAG) affect my eligibility for RCA?
No. In determining your eligibility for RCA DSHS does not count a onetime resettlement cash grant provided to you by your VOLAG.
(7) What is the effective date of my eligibility for RCA?
The date DSHS has sufficient information to make an eligibility decision is the date your RCA begins.
(8) When does my RCA end?
(a) Your RCA ends on the last day of the 12th month starting with the month of your arrival to the United States. Count the 12 months from the first day of the month of your entry into the United States. For example, if you entered the United States on May 28, 2022, May is your first month and April 2023 is your last month of RCA.
(b) If you get a job, your income will affect your RCA based on the TANF rules (chapter 388-450 WAC). If you earn more than is allowed by WAC 388-478-0035, you are no longer eligible for RCA.
(c) You may receive RCA benefits for more months if the federal office of refugee resettlement extends the eligibility period.
(9) Are there other reasons why RCA may end?
Your RCA also ends if:
(a) You move out of Washington state;
(b) Your unearned income or resources go over the maximum limit (WAC 388-466-0140); or
(c) You, without good cause, refuse to meet refugee employment and training requirements (WAC 388-466-0150).
(10) Will my spouse be eligible for RCA, if they arrive in the U.S. after me?
When your spouse arrives in the United States, DSHS determines their eligibility for RCA and other income assistance programs.
(a) Your spouse may be eligible for up to 12 months of RCA based on their date of arrival into the United States.
(b) If you live together, you and your spouse are part of the same assistance unit and your spouse's eligibility for RCA is determined based on you and your spouse's combined income and resources (WAC 388-466-0140).
(11) Can I get additional money in an emergency?
If you have an emergency and need a cash payment to get or keep your housing or utilities, you may apply for the DSHS program called additional requirements for emergent needs (AREN). To receive AREN, you must meet the requirements in WAC 388-436-0002.
(12) What can I do if I disagree with a decision or action that has been taken by DSHS on my case?
If you disagree with a decision or action taken on your case by the department, you have the right to request a review of your case or an administrative hearing (WAC 388-02-0090). Your request must be made within 90 days of the date of the decision or action.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, 74.08.090, 74.08A.120, and 45 C.F.R. § 400.211 and ORR P.L. 22-12. WSR 23-02-032, § 388-466-0120, filed 12/28/22, effective 1/28/23. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.08A.250 and 45 C.F.R. § 400.300, 8 U.S.C. § 1522 (e)(1). WSR 20-24-073, § 388-466-0120, filed 11/24/20, effective 12/25/20. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.08A.250 and 2011 1st sp.s. c 15. WSR 13-03-137, § 388-466-0120, filed 1/23/13, effective 2/23/13; WSR 12-19-037, § 388-466-0120, filed 9/12/12, effective 10/13/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.08A.320, Pub. L. No. 110-181, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008, Pub. L. No. 111-08, the Omnibus Appropriations Act of 2009, Division F, Title VI, Section 602; Office of Refugee Resettlement State Letter 09-17 from April 9, 2009; and federal guidance issued on May 15, 2009, by the Food and Nutrition Service, United States Department of Agriculture. WSR 09-21-046, § 388-466-0120, filed 10/14/09, effective 11/4/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08A.320, 74.08.090, and Public Law 110-161 Section 525; Public Law 110-181 Section 1244; FNS Admin Notice 08-17; State Letter 04-12 from the Office of Refugee Resettlement. WSR 08-14-116, § 388-466-0120, filed 6/30/08, effective 8/1/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090, 74.08A.320. WSR 02-04-057, § 388-466-0120, filed 1/30/02, effective 2/1/02.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group