HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
388-450-0070  <<  388-450-0080 >>   388-450-0085

PDFWAC 388-450-0080

What is self-employment income?

This section applies to cash assistance and basic food.
(1) Self-employment income is income you earn from running a business, performing a service, selling items you make, or reselling items to make a profit.
(2) You are self-employed if you earn income without having an employer/employee relationship with the person who pays you. This includes, but is not limited to, when:
(a) You have primary control of the way you do your work; or
(b) You report your income using IRS Schedule C, Schedule C-EZ, Schedule K-1, or Schedule SE.
(3) You usually have an employer/employee relationship when:
(a) The person you provide services for has primary control of how you do your work; or
(b) You get an IRS form W-2 to report your income.
(4) Your self-employment does not have to be a licensed business for your business or activity to qualify as self-employment. Some examples of self-employment include:
(a) Child care that requires a license under chapter 74.15 RCW;
(b) Driving a taxi cab;
(c) Farming/fishing;
(d) Odd jobs such as mowing lawns, house painting, gutter cleaning, or car care;
(e) Running a lodging for roomers and/or boarders. Roomer income includes money paid to you for shelter costs by someone not in your assistance unit who lives with you when:
(i) You own or are buying your residence; or
(ii) You rent all or a part of your residence and the total rent you charge all others in your home is more than your total rent.
(f) Running an adult family home;
(g) Providing services such as a massage therapist or a professional escort;
(h) Retainer fees to reserve a bed for a foster child;
(i) Selling items you make or items that are supplied to you;
(j) Selling or donating your own biological products such as providing blood or reproductive material for profit;
(k) Working as an independent contractor; and
(l) Running a business or trade either on your own or in a partnership.
(5) If you are an employee of a company or person who does the activities listed in subsection (2) above as a part of your job, we do not count the work you do as self-employment.
(6) Self-employment income is counted as earned income as described in WAC 388-450-0030 except as described in subsection (7).
(7) For cash assistance and basic food there are special rules about renting or leasing out property or real estate that you own.
(a) We count the income you get as unearned income unless you spend at least twenty hours per week managing the property.
(b) For TANF/SFA, we count the income as unearned income unless the use of the property is a part of your approved individual responsibility plan.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.500, 74.04.510, 74.08.090, 74.08A.120, and 2011 1st sp.s. c 15. WSR 13-18-007, § 388-450-0080, filed 8/22/13, effective 10/1/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090 and ARRA of 2009, Public Law 111-5, Section 5006(b); 42 C.F.R. 435.601, EEOICPA of 2000, Public Law 106398, Sec. 1, app., Title XXXVI (Oct. 30, 2000) (section 1 adopting as Appendix H.R. 5408), Section 3646 of the Appendix. WSR 10-15-069, § 388-450-0080, filed 7/16/10, effective 8/16/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, 74.08.090. WSR 06-15-049, § 388-450-0080, filed 7/12/06, effective 9/1/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, and 74.04.510. WSR 03-13-045, § 388-450-0080, filed 6/11/03, effective 8/1/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090 and 74.04.510. WSR 01-19-020, § 388-450-0080, filed 9/11/01, effective 10/1/01; WSR 99-16-024, § 388-450-0080, filed 7/26/99, effective 9/1/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. WSR 98-16-044, § 388-450-0080, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group