HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
296-17-31005  <<  296-17-31006 >>   296-17-31007

PDFWAC 296-17-31006

Application process.

(1) Where can I buy workers' compensation insurance? Washington law requires that you:
• Purchase your workers' compensation insurance through labor and industries. You will need to complete a business license application to obtain workers' compensation insurance from us; or
• Be certified as a self-insured employer by the self-insurance certification services section of the department of labor and industries. For more information on the self-insurance program go to, additional resources and contact information are listed under "Contact Us."
Employers engaged exclusively in interstate or foreign commerce are permitted to purchase workers' compensation insurance from a private carrier in another state if they do business in that state. The workers' compensation laws of the other state must allow the Washington drivers to be covered in that state.
(2) Where can I get a business license application?
You can file and print a business license application online at You can pick up a paper business license application from:
• Any office of the department of labor and industries;
• Employment security;
• Department of revenue business licensing service office;
• The corporations division of the office of the secretary of state;
• For your convenience you can call us at 360-902-4817 and we will mail you one.
(3) Where do I send my completed business license application?
You can mail your completed business license application to the department of revenue address shown on the form, or you can return it to your local department of labor and industries office, or department of employment security district tax office. Be sure to include the appropriate fees indicated on the form.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 51.04.020 and 51.16.035. WSR 20-20-108, § 296-17-31006, filed 10/6/20, effective 1/1/21; WSR 19-11-109, § 296-17-31006, filed 5/21/19, effective 7/1/19. Statutory Authority: RCW 51.04.020, 51.16.035, and 51.16.100. WSR 12-11-109, § 296-17-31006, filed 5/22/12, effective 7/1/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 51.16.035. WSR 98-18-042, § 296-17-31006, filed 8/28/98, effective 10/1/98.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group