HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
246-272B-07400  <<  246-272B-07450 >>   246-272B-07500

PDFWAC 246-272B-07450


(1) LOSS or LOSS component failures include, but are not limited to:
(a) Sewage or partially treated sewage on the ground;
(b) Sewage backing up into a connected residence or structure caused by slow soil absorption of the treated effluent or other failure;
(c) Sewage or partially treated sewage leaking from a septic tank, pump chamber, holding system or collection system;
(d) Cesspools or seepage pits where evidence of groundwater or surface water quality degradation exists;
(e) Plant growth above the drainfield that indicates the effluent is not filtering down through the soil profile;
(f) Inadequately treated effluent contaminating groundwater or surface water; or
(g) Noncompliance with standards stipulated in the operating permit.
(2) The owner shall address and correct all failures immediately. LOSS component failures that can be corrected by repair or replacement must follow the requirements in WAC 246-272B-07400.
(3) The owner of a LOSS that has a failure shall report the condition to the department by telephone or by email within one business day of discovery.
(4) The department may require:
(a) Modifications, reduction in capacity, changes in operations, additional monitoring, temporary use of a holding tank, or other emergency measures in order to reduce or eliminate the risk to public health and actual or potential environmental contamination;
(b) Residences, structures, lots, and units that are connected to the failing LOSS to connect to another LOSS with sufficient approved capacity or to a sanitary sewer system, if available;
(c) The LOSS owner to apply for a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit or a state waste discharge permit from the department of ecology, if effluent will be discharged to the land surface or into surface water; or
(d) The LOSS to be shut down and abandoned, according to WAC 246-272B-07500.
(5) When the owner is directed by the department to discontinue operation of a LOSS or to cease serving some or all dwellings, structures, lots, or units, the owner shall give department-approved written notice to all affected customers and property owners within ten business days, return receipt requested.
(6) The department may direct the owner to discontinue use of the LOSS or any portion of the LOSS due to a system or component failure.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 70.118B.020. WSR 11-12-035, ยง 246-272B-07450, filed 5/25/11, effective 7/1/11.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group