(1) Each employer or other person who withholds or otherwise diverts a portion of wages or salary of a Washington resident or a nonresident whose primary place of work is in the state of Washington shall have on file the individual's written authorization before withholding or diverting the individual's wages or salary for:
(a) The purpose of making one or more contributions to any political committee required to report pursuant to RCW 42.17A.205
, 42.17A.215, 42.17A.225, 42.17A.235 or 42.17A.240; or
(b) Use, specifically designated by the contributing employee, for political contributions to candidates for state or local office.
(2) Forms used for payroll deduction may either conform to the suggested format below or be in a different format including an electronic format if it provides the following information:
(a) The name of the individual authorizing the withholding or diversion;
(b) The name of the individual's employer;
(c) The name of each political committee or candidate for which contributions are to be withheld;
(d) If more than one political committee or candidate is specified, the total dollar amount per pay period (or per week, month or year) to be withheld for each committee or candidate;
(e) A statement specifying that the authorization may be revoked at any time and such revocation shall be in writing;
(f) A statement that reads: "No employer or labor organization may discriminate against an officer or employee in the terms or conditions of employment for (i) the failure to contribute to, (ii) the failure in any way to support or oppose, or (iii) in any way supporting or opposing a candidate, ballot proposition, political party, or political committee"; or a statement that informs the employee of the prohibition against employer and labor organization discrimination described in RCW 42.17A.495
(g) The individual's signature or other reliable and secure verification that the individual is authorizing the withholding or diversion; and
(h) The date on which the form was completed.
(3) Forms used for payroll deduction may have information in addition to that listed in subsection (2) of this section. A form that satisfies subsection (2) of this section constitutes the written authorization of the individual authorizing the withholding or diversion.
(4) Employers and other persons who withhold or divert wages or salaries must:
(a) Maintain the completed forms, with the individual's signature or verification, for as long as the withholding or diversion continues;
(b) Keep the forms and other documents described in RCW 42.17A.495
(4) open for public inspection for three years after the last disbursement of wages or salaries; and
(c) Provide the forms and other documents described in RCW 42.17A.495
(4) to the commission upon request.
Political Contribution Withholding Authorization
No employer or other person may withhold a portion of a Washington State resident's earnings (or that of a nonresident whose primary place of work is in Washington) in order to make contributions to a political committee that must report to the Public Disclosure Commission or to a candidate for state or local office without written permission from that individual. Completion of this form entitles the entity specified to make such a withholding. This authorization form remains in effect until revoked in writing by the employee.
Name of Employer or Other Person
to withhold $
from my earnings in order to make political contributions to
political committee(s) and/or candidate(s) to receive deductions
If more than one recipient is indicated, each is to receive the following portion of the
According to state law, no employer or labor organization may discriminate against an officer or employee in the terms or conditions of employment for (a) the failure to contribute to, (b) the failure in any way to support or oppose, or (c) in any way supporting or opposing a candidate, ballot proposition, political party, or political committee.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 42.17A.110
and 42.17A.495. WSR 13-12-016, § 390-17-100, filed 5/24/13, effective 6/24/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 42.17A.110
. WSR 12-03-002, § 390-17-100, filed 1/4/12, effective 2/4/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 42.17.370
. WSR 03-08-052, § 390-17-100, filed 3/28/03, effective 4/28/03; WSR 93-16-064, § 390-17-100, filed 7/30/93, effective 8/30/93.]