(1) Education is required to recertify as an EMS provider.
(a) The EMS provider must complete the continuing medical education and examination (CME) method, identified in WAC 246-976-162
or the ongoing training and evaluation program (OTEP) method, identified in WAC 246-976-163
for each certification period.
(b) The EMS provider shall maintain records of successfully completed educational, practical skill evaluation and skill maintenance requirements.
(2) Education for recertification must be approved by the MPD. Educational and topic content requirements must include:
(a) Knowledge and skills found in instructor guidelines identified in WAC 246-976-023
, appropriate to the level of certification being taught;
(b) Nationally recognized training programs for CPR, foreign body airway obstruction (FBAO), and defibrillation and patient care appropriate to the level of certification. Training must be at the health care provider level and meet Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) standards; and
(c) Current county medical program director (MPD) protocols, regional patient care procedures, county operating procedures and state triage destination procedures.
(3) Nationally recognized training programs may be incorporated as part of content identified in subsection (2) of this subsection.
(4) Skill maintenance is a required educational component for recertification:
(a) For EMS providers completing the CME method the required skills are defined in WAC 246-976-162
(b) For EMS providers completing the OTEP method the required skills are defined in WAC 246-976-163
. These requirements may be obtained as part of an OTEP.
(5) Upon approval of the MPD, if an EMS provider is unable to complete the required endotracheal intubations as defined in WAC 246-976-162
the EMS provider may meet the endotracheal intubation requirements by completing an MPD and department-approved intensive airway management training program, covering all knowledge and skill aspects of emergency airway management.
[Statutory Authority: Chapters 18.71
, 18.73, and 70.168
RCW. WSR 11-07-078, § 246-976-161, filed 3/22/11, effective 5/15/11. Statutory Authority: Chapters 18.71
RCW. WSR 04-08-103, § 246-976-161, filed 4/6/04, effective 5/7/04. Statutory Authority: Chapters 18.71
, 18.73, and 70.168
RCW. WSR 00-08-102, § 246-976-161, filed 4/5/00, effective 5/6/00.]