The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Acquisition" includes, but is not limited to, siting, acquisition, design, construction, refurbishing, expansion, repair, and improvement, including paying or securing the payment of all or any portion of general obligation bonds, leases, revenue bonds, or other obligations issued or incurred for such purpose or purposes under this chapter.
(2) "Municipality" means any county, city or town of the state of Washington.
(3) "Operation" includes, but is not limited to, operation, management, and marketing.
(4) "Person" means the federal government or any agency thereof, the state or any agency, subdivision, taxing district or municipal corporation thereof other than county, city or town, any private corporation, partnership, association, or individual.
(5) "Tourism" means economic activity resulting from tourists, which may include sales of overnight lodging, meals, tours, gifts, or souvenirs.
(6) "Tourism promotion" means activities, operations, and expenditures designed to increase tourism, including but not limited to advertising, publicizing, or otherwise distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming tourists; developing strategies to expand tourism; operating tourism promotion agencies; and funding the marketing of or the operation of special events and festivals designed to attract tourists.
(7) "Tourism-related facility" means real or tangible personal property with a usable life of three or more years, or constructed with volunteer labor that is: (a)(i) Owned by a public entity; (ii) owned by a nonprofit organization described under section 501(c)(3) of the federal internal revenue code of 1986, as amended; or (iii) owned by a nonprofit organization described under section 501(c)(6) of the federal internal revenue code of 1986, as amended, a business organization, destination marketing organization, main street organization, lodging association, or chamber of commerce and (b) used to support tourism, performing arts, or to accommodate tourist activities.
Effective date—2013 c 196:
See note following RCW 67.28.1816
Intent—1997 c 452:
"The intent of this act is to provide uniform standards for local option excise taxation of lodging." [ 1997 c 452 § 1.
Severability—1997 c 452:
"If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [ 1997 c 452 § 24.
Savings—1997 c 452:
See note following RCW 67.28.181
Effective date, application—1991 c 357:
"This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and shall take effect after immediately [effect immediately (May 21, 1991)]. This act applies retroactively to all actions taken under chapter 67.28
RCW on or after January 1, 1990." [ 1991 c 357 § 5.
Clarification of permitted use or purpose: 2000 c 256.