The department may not issue an identicard or a Washington state driver's license that is valid for identification purposes unless the applicant meets the identification requirements of subsection (1), (2), or (3) of this section.
(1) A driver's license or identicard applicant must provide the department with at least one of the following pieces of valid identifying documentation that contains the signature and a photograph of the applicant:
(a) A valid or recently expired driver's license or instruction permit that includes the date of birth of the applicant;
(b) A Washington state identicard or an identification card issued by another state;
(c) An identification card issued by the United States, a state, or an agency of either the United States or a state, of a kind commonly used to identify the members or employees of the government agency;
(d) A military identification card;
(e) A United States passport; or
(f) An immigration and naturalization service form.
(2) An applicant who is a minor may establish identity by providing an affidavit of the applicant's parent or guardian. The parent or guardian must accompany the minor and display or provide:
(a) At least one piece of documentation in subsection (1) of this section establishing the identity of the parent or guardian; and
(b) Additional documentation establishing the relationship between the parent or guardian and the applicant.
(3) A person unable to provide identifying documentation as specified in subsection (1) or (2) of this section may request that the department review other available documentation in order to ascertain identity. The department may waive the requirement if it finds that other documentation clearly establishes the identity of the applicant. Notwithstanding the requirements in subsection (2) of this section, the department shall issue an identicard to an applicant for whom it receives documentation pursuant to RCW 74.13.283
(4) An identicard or a driver's license that includes a photograph that has been renewed by mail or by electronic commerce is valid for identification purposes if the applicant met the identification requirements of subsection (1), (2), or (3) of this section at the time of previous issuance.
(5) The form of an applicant's name, as established under this section, is the person's name of record for the purposes of this chapter.
(6) If the applicant is unable to prove his or her identity under this section, the department shall plainly label the license "not valid for identification purposes."
Intent—1999 c 6:
See note following RCW 46.04.168
Intent—Construction—Effective date—1998 c 41:
See notes following RCW 46.20.265