The definitions in this section apply throughout this title unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Adjuster" means any person who, for compensation as an independent contractor or as an employee of an independent contractor, or for fee or commission, investigates or reports to the adjuster's principal relative to claims arising under insurance contracts, on behalf solely of either the insurer or the insured. An attorney-at-law who adjusts insurance losses from time to time incidental to the practice of his or her profession or an adjuster of marine losses is not deemed to be an "adjuster" for the purpose of this chapter. A salaried employee of an insurer or of a managing general agent is not deemed to be an "adjuster" for the purpose of this chapter, except when acting as a crop adjuster.
(a) "Independent adjuster" means an adjuster representing the interests of the insurer.
(b) "Public adjuster" means an adjuster employed by and representing solely the financial interests of the insured named in the policy.
(c) "Crop adjuster" means an adjuster, including (i) an independent adjuster, (ii) a public adjuster, and (iii) an employee of an insurer or managing general agent, who acts as an adjuster for claims arising under crop insurance. A salaried employee of an insurer or of a managing general agent who is certified by a crop adjuster program approved by the risk management agency of the United States department of agriculture is not a "crop adjuster" for the purposes of this chapter. Proof of certification must be provided to the commissioner upon request.
(2) "Business entity" means a corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, or other legal entity.
(3) "Crop insurance" means insurance coverage for damage to crops from unfavorable weather conditions, fire or lightning, flood, hail, insect infestation, disease, or other yield-reducing conditions or perils provided by the private insurance market, or multiple peril crop insurance reinsured by the federal crop insurance corporation, including but not limited to revenue insurance.
(4) "Home state" means the District of Columbia and any state or territory of the United States or province of Canada in which an insurance producer or adjuster maintains the insurance producer's or adjuster's principal place of residence or principal place of business, and is licensed to act as an insurance producer or adjuster.
(5) "Insurance education provider" means any insurer, health care service contractor, health maintenance organization, professional association, educational institution created by Washington statutes, or vocational school licensed under Title 28C
RCW, or independent contractor to which the commissioner has granted authority to conduct and certify completion of a course satisfying the insurance education requirements of RCW 48.17.150
(6) "Insurance producer" means a person required to be licensed under the laws of this state to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance. "Insurance producer" does not include title insurance agents as defined in subsection (16) of this section or surplus line brokers licensed under chapter 48.15
(7) "Insurer" has the same meaning as in RCW 48.01.050
, and includes a health care service contractor as defined in RCW 48.44.010
and a health maintenance organization as defined in RCW 48.46.020
(8) "License" means a document issued by the commissioner authorizing a person to act as an insurance producer or title insurance agent for the lines of authority specified in the document. The license itself does not create any authority, actual, apparent, or inherent, in the holder to represent or commit to an insurer.
(9) "Limited line credit insurance" includes credit life, credit disability, credit property, credit unemployment, involuntary unemployment, mortgage life, mortgage guaranty, mortgage disability, automobile dealer gap insurance, and any other form of insurance offered in connection with an extension of credit that is limited to partially or wholly extinguishing the credit obligation that the commissioner determines should be designated a form of limited line credit insurance.
(10) "NAIC" means national association of insurance commissioners.
(11) "Negotiate" means the act of conferring directly with, or offering advice directly to, a purchaser or prospective purchaser of a particular contract of insurance concerning any of the substantive benefits, terms, or conditions of the contract, provided that the person engaged in that act either sells insurance or obtains insurance from insurers for purchasers.
(12) "Person" means an individual or a business entity.
(13) "Sell" means to exchange a contract of insurance by any means, for money or its equivalent, on behalf of an insurer.
(14) "Solicit" means attempting to sell insurance or asking or urging a person to apply for a particular kind of insurance from a particular insurer.
(15) "Terminate" means the cancellation of the relationship between an insurance producer and the insurer or the termination of an insurance producer's authority to transact insurance.
(16) "Title insurance agent" means a business entity licensed under the laws of this state and appointed by an authorized title insurance company to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance on behalf of the title insurance company.
(17) "Uniform application" means the current version of the NAIC uniform application for individual insurance producers for resident and nonresident insurance producer licensing.
(18) "Uniform business entity application" means the current version of the NAIC uniform application for business entity insurance license or registration for resident and nonresident business entities.
Effective date—2010 c 67:
See note following RCW 48.14.010
Effective date—2009 c 162:
See note following RCW 48.03.020