HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
468-38-290  <<  468-38-360 >>   468-38-405

PDFWAC 468-38-360

Building/house moves.

(1) Are there special requirements for the movement of a house/building that is not defined as a manufactured house or modular building? The department's regional administrator, or designee, must approve an application for movement of buildings or houses exceeding sixteen feet wide on two lane roads, or twenty feet on multilane roads with a median barrier.
(2) Is there a limit to the distance a building/house can move? A building/house that exceeds the dimensions in subsection (1) of this section is limited to a distance of five miles. Additional consecutive five-mile permits will not be issued to exceed the five-mile limitation. The regional administrator, or designee, may grant an exemption if the special permit applicant can justify the move as in the public interest or as the avoidance of extreme hardship. Justification will generally require independent documented evidence, to include, but not be limited to:
(a) Cost, equity and sales data;
(b) Historic significance;
(c) Public benefit; or
(d) National defense.
(3) How much lead-time is necessary to have an application for special permit reviewed? The application (DOT Form 720-028) must be completed and submitted to the regional office at least ten working days before the proposed move.
(4) If the weight of the building meets the criteria for a superload (WAC 468-38-405), does the superload lead-time requirement apply? Yes. Generally loads of two hundred thousand pounds or more require review and analysis by the department's bridge condition office and the pavements office, both located in the Olympia area. Per RCW 46.44.091, a written application must be submitted at least thirty calendar days in advance of the proposed move to accommodate the review and analysis process.
(5) What information must be included on the application? The application must show at a minimum:
(a) Name, address and contact phone number of the owner;
(b) Name, address and contact phone number of the mover, if different than the owner;
(c) Proposed route - complete with traffic control plan;
(d) Physical description of the structure, including estimated weight and dimensions;
(e) Arrangements for moving overhead obstacles;
(f) Number and configuration of hauling vehicles (tow unit, dollies, etc.); and
(g) Any additional requirements outlined in this section.
(6) Will inspections be performed prior to the move? When deemed necessary, a department employee will make a visual inspection of the structure, hauling vehicles, and proposed route. The owner will provide equipment necessary for the inspection, such as a ladder, on-site. The inspection must, at a minimum:
(a) Verify dimensions of the structure, including all appurtenances, i.e., porches, eaves, etc., that could not be removed without affecting the structural integrity;
(b) Check for appropriate strapping for brick or other masonry;
(c) Verify all overhead obstacles, including traffic signals, wires, and/or mast arms have been identified and approved for movement by the region traffic engineer;
(d) Insure all dollies are not equipped with hard rubber or solid cushion rubber tires;
(e) Verify tow vehicles (a back-up vehicle may be required) have a valid certificate of inspection from the state patrol; and
(f) Determine if state forces will be required to participate in the move (state force work will be estimated and paid in advance with a billing/refund adjustment made after the move is completed).
(7) What is the maximum speed of travel for a building/house move governed by this section? The maximum speed must not exceed twenty-five miles per hour.
(8) Is there a limit to the amount of time traffic can be delayed? Time allotted for traffic delays will be at department discretion, but must not exceed five minutes.
(9) Is there consideration for emergency vehicles? Reasonable accessibility for emergency vehicles navigating around the move must be maintained.
(10) Must the applicant notify the state patrol of the move? The applicant must notify the state patrol forty-eight hours in advance of the scheduled move. The notification must provide the state patrol with the time of the move and the route. The region may also require the applicant to contract, at applicant expense, with the state patrol to assist with traffic control.
(11) What precautions must be taken regarding railroad crossings? If railroad tracks are to be crossed, the applicant must notify the appropriate railroad company of the move. Contact information must be obtained in order to communicate with the railroad immediately prior to accessing the crossing to ensure safe passage. This information must be part of the traffic control plan submitted with the application.
Additionally, each crossing must have a pretrip analysis to assure vehicle(s) will clear the grade crossing.
(12) Is there an insurance requirement for the mover of the structure? The permit applicant must provide proof of insurance in the following amounts:
(a) Commercial operators must have at least seven hundred fifty thousand dollars of liability insurance; and
(b) Noncommercial operators must have at least three hundred thousand dollars of liability insurance.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.44.090. WSR 05-04-053, § 468-38-360, filed 1/28/05, effective 2/28/05; WSR 93-04-071 (Order 136), § 468-38-360, filed 1/29/93, effective 3/1/93; WSR 82-18-010 (Order 31, Resolution No. 156), § 468-38-360, filed 8/20/82. Formerly WAC 468-38-440. Statutory Authority: 1977 ex.s. c 151. WSR 79-01-033 (DOT Order 10 and Comm. Order 1, Resolution No. 13), § 468-38-360, filed 12/20/78. Formerly WAC 252-24-363.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group