HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
415-106-610  <<  415-106-620 >>   415-106-700

PDFWAC 415-106-620

How does the department calculate my retirement allowance?

(1) When you apply for retirement, you will first receive a provisional retirement allowance.
(a) The department will calculate the provisional allowance based on:
(i) The data for service credit and reportable compensation in the department's system at the time it is calculated; and
(ii) Projections of your salary for periods that have not yet been reported by your employer.
(b) The department will pay you the provisional allowance until your actual retirement allowance has been calculated.
(2) To compute your actual allowance, the department must receive a final compensation report from your employer. The department may also require any of the following from your employer:
(a) Earnings history.
(b) Copies of your employment contract(s).
(c) Copies of your employer's compensation policies.
(3) The department will make a final calculation of your actual retirement allowance by making a final determination of your service credit and AFC and by applying the correct formula to these values. Your actual retirement allowance may be higher or lower than your provisional allowance.
(4) If the amount of your actual allowance is different from your provisional allowance, the department will make the necessary adjustments.
(a) If you were underpaid, the department will pay you a lump sum payment equal to the difference of the total provisional payments you received and the total you would have received based on your actual allowance.
(b) If you were overpaid, the department will recover the overpayment either through a lump sum payment, monthly installment payments, or through an actuarial reduction of your actual allowance.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050(5) and 41.37.190. WSR 08-02-046, ยง 415-106-620, filed 12/27/07, effective 1/27/08.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group