79A.60.260  <<  79A.60.270 >>   79A.60.280

Disputed claimsTrialBond.

In case the parties cannot agree on the amount to be paid the taker-up, or the ownership, and the sum claimed is less than one thousand dollars, the owner may file a complaint, setting out the facts, and the judge, on hearing, shall decide the same with a jury, or not, and in the same manner as is provided in ordinary civil actions before a district judge. If the amount claimed by the taker-up is more than one thousand dollars, the owner shall file his or her complaint in the superior court of the county where the property is, and trial shall be had as in other civil actions; but if the taker-up claims more than one thousand dollars, and a less amount is awarded him or her, he or she shall be liable for all the costs in the superior court; and in all cases where the taker-up shall recover a less amount than has been tendered him or her by the owner or claimant, previous to filing his or her complaint, he or she shall pay the costs before the district judge or in the superior court: PROVIDED, That in all cases the owner, after filing his or her complaint before a district judge, shall be entitled to the possession of the vessel, upon giving bond, with security to the satisfaction of the judge, in double the amount claimed by the taker-up. When the complaint is filed in the superior court, the clerk thereof shall approve the security of the bond. The bond shall be conditioned to pay such costs as shall be awarded to the finder or taker-up of such vessel.
[ 1993 c 244 § 23; 1987 c 202 § 248; Code 1881 § 3246; 1854 p 386 § 5; RRS § 9895. Formerly RCW 88.12.218, 88.12.200, and 88.20.050.]


Intent1993 c 244: See note following RCW 79A.60.010.
Intent1987 c 202: See note following RCW 2.04.190.
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group