69.07.210  <<  69.07.220 >>   69.07.900

Hemp extract certification.

(1) Until such time as hemp extract is federally authorized for use as a food ingredient, hemp extract is not an approved food ingredient in Washington state. A hemp processor who wishes to engage in the production of hemp extract for use as a food ingredient in another state that allows its use as a food ingredient may apply for a hemp extract certification to certify the hemp processor's compliance with Washington's inspection and good manufacturing practices requirements. The department shall regulate hemp extract processing the same as other food processing under chapters 15.130, 69.07, and 69.22 RCW with the exceptions contained in subsections (2) through (6) of this section.
(2) The department's oversight is limited to certifying a hemp processor's compliance with applicable inspection and good manufacturing practices requirements as adopted by the department under chapter 15.130 RCW.
(3) The department must issue a hemp extract certification in lieu of a food processing license under RCW 69.07.040 to a hemp processor who meets the application requirements described in subsection (4) of this section. A hemp processor holding a hemp extract certification must apply for renewal of the certification annually.
(4) The application, initial certification, and renewal fees must be in an amount established by the department. Applicants for certification otherwise must meet the same requirements as applicants for a food processing license under chapter 69.07 RCW including, but not limited to, successful completion of an inspection by the department.
(5) The department may deny, suspend, or revoke a hemp extract certification on the same grounds as the department may deny, suspend, or revoke a food processor's license under this chapter.
(6) At such time as federal authorization of hemp extracts as a food ingredient occurs, the department must cease issuance of certifications under this chapter. At renewal, hemp processors certified under this section must apply for a food processor license in accordance with RCW 69.07.040.


Intent2021 c 104: See note following RCW 15.140.020.
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group