For the purpose of the Washington state public works law, chapter 39.12
RCW, utilities construction is defined as follows:
The construction, alteration, repair or improvement of water mains, sanitary sewer mains, underground storm sewers and branch lines to buildings but not underneath buildings, within cities, towns, suburbs and subdivisions. The work includes, but is not limited to:
(1) Clearance of right of way preparatory to the excavation of trenches or ditches.
(2) Excavation and trimming of trenches or ditches (including establishing and maintaining grade).
(3) Shoring, building of manholes, catch basins, etc.
(4) Distribution of pipe and skids, placing of skids and pipe over the trench or ditch.
(5) The cleaning, sealing, doping and wrapping of the pipe after the joints have been welded and before lowering the pipe into the trench and alignment.
(6) Lowering of the pipe and the removal of the skids.
(7) Backfilling, compaction and resurfacing of trenches or ditches (e.g., asphalt work necessary to cover the trench or ditch, but all other asphalt work is excluded).
(8) Cleanup and restoration of right of way (e.g., restore landscaping).
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 39.12
RCW, RCW 43.22.270
and 43.22.051. WSR 00-15-077, § 296-127-01389, filed 7/19/00, effective 7/19/00.]