The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Federally assisted housing" means any multifamily housing that is insured, financed, assisted, or held by the secretary of housing and urban development or the secretary of agriculture under:
(a) Section 8 of the United States housing act of 1937, as amended (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1437f);
(b) Section 101 of the housing and urban development act of 1965, as amended (12 U.S.C. Sec. 1701s);
(c) The following sections of the national housing act:
(i) Section 202 (12 U.S.C. Sec. 1701q);
(ii) Section 213 (12 U.S.C. Sec. 1715e);
(iii) Section 221(d) (3) and (4) (12 U.S.C. Sec. 17151(d) (3) and (4));
(iv) Section 223(f) (12 U.S.C. Sec. 1715n(f));
(v) Section 231 (12 U.S.C. Sec. 1715v); or
(vi) Section 236 (12 U.S.C. Sec. 1715z-1); and
(d) The following sections of the housing act of 1949, as amended:
(i) Section 514 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1484);
(ii) Section 515 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1485);
(iii) Section 516 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1486);
(iv) Section 521(a)(1)(B) (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1490a(a)(1)); or
(v) Section 521(a)(2) (42 U.S.C. Sec. 1490a(a)(2)).
(2) "Rental agreement" means any agreement that establishes or modifies the terms, conditions, rules, regulations, or any other provision concerning the use and occupancy of a federally assisted housing unit.
(3) "Owner" means the current or subsequent owner or owners of federally assisted housing.
(4) "Low-income use restrictions" means any federal, state, or local statute, rule, regulation, ordinance, or contract which, as a condition of receipt of any federal, state, or local financial assistance, establishes maximum limitations on tenant income as a condition of eligibility for occupancy of the units within a development, imposes any restrictions on the maximum rents that could be charged for any of the units within a development, or requires that rent for any of the units within a development be reviewed by any governmental body or agency before the rents are implemented.
(5) "Prepayment" means the payment in full or refinancing of the federally insured or federally held mortgage or loan prior to its original maturity date, or the voluntary cancellation of mortgage insurance, if that would have the effect of terminating any low-income use restrictions.
(6) "Public housing agency" means any state or local agency or nonprofit entity that is authorized to administer tenant-based rental assistance under federal, state, or local law.