Right of debtor or borrower to select insurance producer, surplus line broker, or insurer.
(1) Every debtor or borrower, when property insurance of any kind is required in connection with the debt or loan, shall have reasonable opportunity and choice in the selection of the insurance producer, surplus line broker, and insurer through whom such insurance is to be placed; but only if the insurance is properly provided for the protection of the creditor or lender, whether by policy or binder, not later than at commencement of risk as to such property as respects such creditor or lender, and in the case of renewal of insurance, only if the renewal policy, or a proper binder therefor containing a brief description of the coverage bound and the identity of the insurer in which the coverage is bound, is delivered to the creditor or lender not later than thirty days prior to the renewal date.
(2) Every person who lends money or extends credit and who solicits insurance on real and personal property must explain to the borrower in prominently displayed writing that the insurance related to such loan or credit extension may be purchased from an insurer, surplus line broker, or insurance producer of the borrower's choice, subject only to the lender's right to reject a given insurer, surplus line broker, or insurance producer as provided in subsection (3)(b) of this section.
(3) No person who lends money or extends credit may:
(a) Solicit insurance for the protection of property, after a person indicates interest in securing a loan or credit extension, until such person has received a commitment from the lender as to a loan or credit extension;
(b) Unreasonably reject a contract of insurance furnished by the borrower for the protection of the property securing the credit or lien. A rejection shall not be deemed unreasonable if it is based on reasonable standards, uniformly applied, relating to the extent of coverage required and the financial soundness and the services of an insurer. Such standards shall not discriminate against any particular type of insurer, nor shall such standards call for rejection of an insurance contract because the contract contains coverage in addition to that required in the credit transaction;
(c) Require that any borrower, mortgagor, purchaser, insurer, surplus line broker, or insurance producer pay a separate charge, in connection with the handling of any contract of insurance required as security for a loan, or pay a separate charge to substitute the insurance policy of one insurer for that of another. This subsection does not include the interest which may be charged on premium loans or premium advancements in accordance with the terms of the loan or credit document;
(d) Use or disclose, without the prior written consent of the borrower, mortgagor, or purchaser taken at a time other than the making of the loan or extension of credit, information relative to a contract of insurance which is required by the credit transaction, for the purpose of replacing such insurance;
(e) Require any procedures or conditions of duly licensed insurance producers, surplus line brokers, or insurers not customarily required of those insurance producers, surplus line brokers, or insurers affiliated or in any way connected with the person who lends money or extends credit; or
(f) Require property insurance in an amount in excess of the amount which could reasonably be expected to be paid under the policy, or combination of policies, in the event of a loss.
(4) Nothing contained in this section shall prevent a person who lends money or extends credit from placing insurance on real or personal property in the event the mortgagor, borrower, or purchaser has failed to provide required insurance in accordance with the terms of the loan or credit document.
(5) Nothing contained in this section shall apply to credit life or credit disability insurance.
[2009 c 162 § 25; 2008 c 217 § 41; 1990 1st ex.s. c 3 § 13; 1988 c 248 § 18; 1984 c 6 § 2; 1977 c 61 § 1; 1957 c 193 § 20.]
| Effective date -- 2009 c 162: See note following RCW 48.03.020.|
Severability -- Effective date -- 2008 c 217: See notes following RCW 48.03.020.