The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Claim" means a demand for monetary damages for injury or death caused by medical malpractice, and a voluntary indemnity payment for injury or death caused by medical malpractice made in the absence of a demand for monetary damages.
(2) "Claimant" means a person, including a decedent's estate, who is seeking or has sought monetary damages for injury or death caused by medical malpractice.
(3) "Closed claim" means a claim that has been settled or otherwise disposed of by the insuring entity, self-insurer, facility, or provider. A claim may be closed with or without an indemnity payment to a claimant.
(4) "Commissioner" means the insurance commissioner.
(5) "Economic damages" has the same meaning as in RCW 4.56.250(1)(a).
(6) "Health care facility" or "facility" means a clinic, diagnostic center, hospital, laboratory, mental health center, nursing home, office, surgical facility, treatment facility, or similar place where a health care provider provides health care to patients, and includes entities described in RCW 7.70.020(3).
(7) "Health care provider" or "provider" has the same meaning as in RCW 7.70.020 (1) and (2).
(8) "Insuring entity" means:
(a) An insurer;
(b) A joint underwriting association;
(c) A risk retention group; or
(d) An unauthorized insurer that provides surplus lines coverage.
(9) "Medical malpractice" means an actual or alleged negligent act, error, or omission in providing or failing to provide health care services that is actionable under chapter 7.70 RCW.
(10) "Noneconomic damages" has the same meaning as in RCW 4.56.250(1)(b).
(11) "Self-insurer" means any health care provider, facility, or other individual or entity that assumes operational or financial risk for claims of medical malpractice.
[2006 c 8 § 201.]