The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Bar hole" means a hole made in the soil or pavement with a hand-operated bar for the specific purpose of testing the subsurface atmosphere with a combustible gas indicator.
(2) "Business day" means any day other than Saturday, Sunday, or a legal local, state, or federal holiday.
(3) "Commission" means the utilities and transportation commission.
(4) "Damage" includes the substantial weakening of structural or lateral support of an underground facility, penetration, impairment, or destruction of any underground protective coating, housing, or other protective device, or the severance, partial or complete, of any underground facility to the extent that the project owner or the affected facility operator determines that repairs are required.
(5) "Emergency" means any condition constituting a clear and present danger to life or property, or a customer service outage.
(6) "End user" means any utility customer or consumer of utility services or commodities provided by a facility operator.
(7) "Equipment operator" means an individual conducting an excavation.
(8) "Excavation" and "excavate" means any operation, including the installation of signs, in which earth, rock, or other material on or below the ground is moved or otherwise displaced by any means.
(9) "Excavation confirmation code" means a code or ticket issued by a one-number locator service for the site where an excavation is planned. The code must be accompanied by the date and time it was issued.
(10) "Excavator" means any person who engages directly in excavation.
(11) "Facility operator" means any person who owns an underground facility or is in the business of supplying any utility service or commodity for compensation. "Facility operator" does not include a utility customer who owns a service lateral that terminates at a facility operator's main utility line.
(12) "Gas" means natural gas, flammable gas, or toxic or corrosive gas.
(13) "Hazardous liquid" means:
(a) Petroleum, petroleum products, or anhydrous ammonia as those terms are defined in 49 C.F.R. Part 195 as in effect on March 1, 1998;
(b) Carbon dioxide; and
(c) Other substances designated as hazardous by the secretary of transportation and incorporated by reference by the commission by rule.
(14) "Identified but unlocatable underground facility" means an underground facility which has been identified but cannot be located with reasonable accuracy.
(15) "Large project" means a project that exceeds seven hundred linear feet.
(16) "Locatable underground facility" means an underground facility which can be marked with reasonable accuracy.
(17) "Marking" means the use of stakes, paint, or other clearly identifiable materials to show the field location of underground facilities, in accordance with the current color code standard of the American public works association. Markings shall include identification letters indicating the specific type of the underground facility.
(18) "Notice" or "notify" means contact in person or by telephone or other electronic method, and, with respect to contact of a one-number locator service, also results in the receipt of a valid excavation confirmation code.
(19) "One-number locator service" means a service through which a person can notify facility operators and request marking of underground facilities.
(20) "Person" means an individual, partnership, franchise holder, association, corporation, the state, a city, a county, a town, or any subdivision or instrumentality of the state, including any unit of local government, and its employees, agents, or legal representatives.
(21) "Pipeline" or "pipeline system" means all or parts of a pipeline facility through which hazardous liquid or gas moves in transportation, including, but not limited to, line pipe, valves, and other appurtenances connected to line pipe, pumping units, fabricated assemblies associated with pumping or compressor units, metering and delivery stations and fabricated assemblies therein, and breakout tanks. "Pipeline" or "pipeline system" does not include process or transfer pipelines.
(22) "Pipeline company" means a person or entity constructing, owning, or operating a pipeline for transporting hazardous liquid or gas. "Pipeline company" does not include:
(a) Distribution systems owned and operated under franchise for the sale, delivery, or distribution of natural gas at retail; or
(b) Excavation contractors or other contractors that contract with a pipeline company.
(23) "Reasonable accuracy" means location within twenty-four inches of the outside dimensions of both sides of an underground facility.
(24) "Service lateral" means an underground water, storm water, or sewer facility located in a public right-of-way or utility easement that connects an end user's building or property to a facility operator's underground facility, and terminates beyond the public right-of-way or utility easement.
(25) "Transfer pipeline" means a buried or aboveground pipeline used to carry hazardous liquid between a tank vessel or transmission pipeline and the first valve inside secondary containment at a facility, provided that any discharge on the facility side of the first valve will not directly impact waters of the state. "Transfer pipeline" includes valves and other appurtenances connected to the pipeline, pumping units, and fabricated assemblies associated with pumping units. "Transfer pipeline" does not include process pipelines, pipelines carrying ballast or bilge water, transmission pipelines, or tank vessel or storage tanks.
(26) "Transmission pipeline" means a pipeline that transports hazardous liquid or gas within a storage field, or transports hazardous liquid or gas from an interstate pipeline or storage facility to a distribution main or a large volume hazardous liquid or gas user, or operates at a hoop stress of twenty percent or more of the specified minimum yield strength.
(27) "Underground facility" means any item buried or placed below ground for use in connection with the storage or conveyance of water, sewage, electronic, telephonic or telegraphic communications, cablevision, electric energy, petroleum products, gas, gaseous vapors, hazardous liquids, or other substances and including but not limited to pipes, sewers, conduits, cables, valves, lines, wires, manholes, attachments, and those parts of poles or anchors that are below ground. This definition does not include pipelines as defined in subsection (21) of this section, but does include distribution systems owned and operated under franchise for the sale, delivery, or distribution of natural gas at retail.
(28) "Unlocatable underground facility" means, subject to the provisions of RCW 19.122.030, an underground facility that cannot be marked with reasonable accuracy using available information to designate the location of an underground facility. "Unlocatable underground facility" includes, but is not limited to, service laterals, storm drains, and nonconductive and nonmetallic underground facilities that do not contain trace wires.
(29) "Utility easement" means a right held by a facility operator to install, maintain, and access an underground facility or pipeline.
[2011 c 263 § 2; 2007 c 142 § 9; 2005 c 448 § 1; 2000 c 191 § 15; 1984 c 144 § 2.]
| Reviser's note: The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k).|
Report -- Effective date -- 2011 c 263: See notes following RCW 19.122.010.
Intent -- Findings -- Conflict with federal requirements -- Short title -- Effective date -- 2000 c 191: See RCW 81.88.005 and 81.88.900 through 81.88.902.