HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
308-65-070  <<  308-65-080 >>   308-65-090

PDFWAC 308-65-080

Hulk hauler—Procedures for acquiring and selling vehicles.

On what ownership documents may I buy and sell vehicles/hulks? (1) Supporting acquisition for transport, resale. The hulk hauler may acquire vehicles or hulks for transport and resale to a licensed motor vehicle wrecker or scrap processor upon obtaining ownership documents in the form of a certificate of ownership properly endorsed, from a state issuing a title, or a certificate of registration and notarized bill of sale from a jurisdiction issuing only a registration certificate or other approved ownership documents as follows:
(a) Affidavit of lost or stolen title signed by the owner on record with the department, and release of interest from the owner.
(b) Affidavit of sale of a junk vehicle from the landowner who has complied with RCW 46.55.230.
(c) Affidavit of sale from a registered tow truck operator.
(d) A court order.
(e) Acquisition from wreckers licensed by the department may be supported by obtaining the wrecker's invoice or bill of sale listing each vehicle by the wrecker's "yard number." Such invoice or bill of sale must be given to the scrap processor or vehicle wrecker purchasing the vehicles listed.
(f) Bills of sale pursuant to WAC 308-63-020 for vehicles from nontitle jurisdictions that have had their titles surrendered to a state after having been declared a total loss and for vehicles of the type to which titles are not issued.
(2) Must possess supporting documentation. Before a hulk hauler may transport any vehicle for resale, he/she must have in his/her possession ownership documents to support lawful acquisition or possession, as enumerated in subsection (1) of this section. Such documentation must be in his/her possession at all times while the vehicle is transported.
(3) Handling vehicles. A hulk hauler may not operate as a wrecker or remove parts from vehicles, provided that the hulk hauler may remove the parts necessary to sell vehicle salvage to a licensed scrap processor, example, the upholstery, gasoline tank, and tires, so long as such parts are removed on the premises of a licensed wrecker or scrap processor where prior permission is granted or at a location approved by the department.
(4) May sell to licensed wreckers and scrap processors. Vehicles in the possession of a licensed hulk hauler may only be sold to a licensed wrecker or scrap processor.
(5) When sold to a licensed wrecker or scrap processor in another state or country, the licensed hulk hauler must furnish a written report to the department by the tenth of the month following sale of the vehicle. The report must contain the following:
(a) A description of each vehicle acquired by make, model, year and vehicle identification number;
(b) The date acquired, name of the person, firm or corporation from which obtained;
(c) A description of the ownership document, including any title or registration number.
This report must be made in duplicate, retaining the duplicate for the hulk hauler's files for a period of three years. The report must be accompanied by properly endorsed certificates of title or registration or such other adequate evidence of ownership as may come into the hulk hauler's possession.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.79.080. WSR 07-03-118, § 308-65-080, filed 1/22/07, effective 2/22/07; WSR 00-13-020, § 308-65-080, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. WSR 93-08-076, § 308-65-080, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group