HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
173-157-040  <<  173-157-050 >>   173-157-100

PDFWAC 173-157-050

What authorization is required for an ASR project?

The following permits or authorizations are required:
(1) Water rights to source waters.
(a) Any source water you use as part of a project by diverting from a state watercourse or withdrawing state groundwaters, must be obtained under a valid water right permit, certificate, or registered water right claim.
(b) The underlying water right specifies authorized uses. Any proposal to use stored water for different uses will require issuance of a secondary permit.
(2) Reservoir permit. When proposing to collect and store water in a naturally occurring underground geological formation for subsequent use as part of an ASR project, you must apply for a reservoir permit in accordance with the provisions of RCW 90.03.370 (2)(a).
(3) Secondary permit. You must apply for a secondary permit in accordance with the provisions of RCW 90.03.370 if you propose to apply the water stored in a reservoir to a beneficial use, except that you are not required to apply for a secondary permit if you already have a water right for the source water that authorizes the proposed beneficial use.
(4) UIC registration. All UIC wells to be utilized as part of an ASR project must be registered with the department in accordance with the provisions of chapter 90.48 RCW. Additionally, the construction and technical aspects of the injection wells must abide by UIC regulations as stated in chapter 173-160 WAC.
(5) NPDES permit. Discharges to surface water must meet water quality standards set forth in chapter 173-201A WAC to protect aquatic life.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 90.03.370 (2)(b) and 90.44.460. WSR 03-03-081 (Order 02-06), ยง 173-157-050, filed 1/15/03, effective 2/15/03.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group