16-104-190  <<  16-104-200 >>   16-104-210

WAC 16-104-200

Grades.

(1) Washington consumer grade AA (at origin) shall consist of eggs which are at least 87 percent AA quality. The maximum tolerance of 13 percent which may be below AA quality may consist of A or B quality in any combination, except that within the tolerance for B quality, not more than 1 percent may be B quality due to air cells over 3/4 inch, blood spots (aggregating not more than 1/8 inch in diameter), or serious yolk defects. Not more than 5 percent (7 percent for jumbo size) checks are permitted and not more than 0.50 percent leakers, dirties, or loss (due to meat or blood spots) in any combination, except that such loss may not exceed 0.30 percent. Other types of loss are not permitted.
(2) Washington consumer grade AA (destination) shall consist of eggs which are at least 72 percent AA quality. The remaining tolerance of 28 percent shall consist of at least 10 percent A quality, and the remainder shall be B quality, except that within the tolerance for B quality not more than 1 percent may be B quality due to air cells over 3/8 inch, blood spots (aggregating not more than 1/8 inch in diameter), or serious yolk defects. Not more than 7 percent (9 percent for jumbo size) checks are permitted and not more than 1 percent leakers, dirties, or loss (due to meat or blood spots) in any combination, except that such loss may not exceed 0.30 percent. Other types of loss are not permitted.
(a) Washington consumer grade A (A) Washington consumer grade A (at origin) shall consist of eggs which are at least 87 percent A quality or better. Within the maximum tolerance of 13 percent which may be below A quality, not more than 1 percent may be B quality due to air cells over 3/8 inch, blood spots (aggregating not more than 1/8 inch in diameter), or serious yolk defects. Not more than 5 percent (7 percent for jumbo size) checks are permitted and not more than 0.50 percent leakers, dirties, or loss (due to meat or blood spots) in any combination, except that such loss may exceed 0.30 percent. Other types of loss are not permitted.
(b) Washington consumer grade A (destination) shall consist of eggs which are at least 82 percent A quality or better. Within the maximum tolerance of 18 percent which may be below A quality, not more than 1 percent may be B quality due to air cells over 3/8 inch, blood spots (aggregating not more than 1/8 inch in diameter), or serious yolk defects. Not more than 7 percent (9 percent for jumbo size) checks are permitted and not more than 1 percent leakers, dirties, or loss (due to meat or blood spots) in any combination, except that such loss may not exceed 0.30 percent. Other types of loss are not permitted.
(3) Washington consumer grade B.
(a) Washington consumer grade B (at origin) shall consist of eggs which are at least 90 percent B quality or better, not more than 10 percent may be checks, and not more than 0.50 percent leakers, dirties, or loss (due to meat or blood spots) in any combination, except that such loss may not exceed 0.30 percent. Other types of loss are not permitted.
(b) Washington consumer grade B (destination) shall consist of eggs which are at least 90 percent B quality or better, not more than 10 percent may be checks and not more than 1 percent leakers, dirties, or loss (due to meat or blood spots) in any combination, except that such loss may not exceed 0.30 percent. Other types of loss are not permitted.
"Exemption." A licensed wholesale shell egg dealer may sell a consumer grade check on the premises where he packages eggs, directly to household consumers for use by such consumer and members of his household and his nonpaying guests and employees. This consumer grade check shall consist of eggs which at least 99 percent are checks or better. Checks may not exceed 1% dirties, leakers, and loss in any combination (due to meat or blood spots). Loss other than meat or blood spots is not permitted.
(4) Additional tolerances:
(a) In lots of two or more cases:
(i) For grade AA - No individual case may exceed 10 percent less AA quality eggs than the minimum permitted for the lot average.
(ii) For grade A - No individual case may exceed 10 percent less A quality eggs than the minimum permitted for the lot average.
(iii) For grade B - No individual case may exceed 10 percent less B quality eggs than the minimum permitted for the lot average.
(b) For grade AA, A, and B, no lot shall be rejected or downgraded due to the quality of a single egg except for loss other than blood or meat spots.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 69.25 RCW. WSR 87-16-075 (Order 1945), ยง 16-104-200, filed 8/4/87.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group