13.34.267  <<  13.34.268 >>   13.34.270

Extended foster care servicesVoluntary placement agreementDeclinePetition for dependency.

(1)(a) If a youth prior to reaching age twenty-one years requests extended foster care services from the department pursuant to RCW 74.13.336, and the department declines to enter into a voluntary placement agreement with the youth, the department must provide written documentation to the youth which contains:
(i) The date that the youth requested extended foster care services;
(ii) The department's reasons for declining to enter into a voluntary placement agreement with the youth and the date of the department's decision; and
(iii) Information regarding the youth's right to ask the court to establish a dependency for the purpose of providing extended foster care services and his or her right to counsel to assist in making that request.
(b) The written documentation pursuant to (a) of this subsection must be provided to the youth within ten days of the department's decision not to enter into a voluntary placement agreement with the youth.
(2)(a) A youth seeking to participate in extended foster care after being declined by the department under subsection (1) of this section may file a notice of intent to file a petition for dependency, asking the court to determine his or her eligibility for extended foster care services, and to enter an order of dependency. If the youth chooses to file such notice, it must be filed within thirty days of the date of the department's decision.
(b) Upon filing the notice, the youth must be provided counsel at no cost to him or her. Upon receipt of the youth's petition, the court must set a hearing date to determine whether the petition should be granted.


Effective date2018 c 34: See note following RCW 13.34.267.
FindingsRecommendationsApplication2013 c 332: See notes following RCW 13.34.267.
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group