Company action level event — Required RBC plan — Commissioner's review — Notification — Challenge by carrier.
(1) "Company action level event" means any of the following events:
(a) The filing of an RBC report by a carrier which indicates that:
(i) The carrier's total adjusted capital is greater than or equal to its regulatory action level RBC but less than its company action level RBC; or
(ii) The carrier has total adjusted capital which is greater than or equal to its company action level RBC but less than the product of its authorized control level RBC and 3 and has a negative trend;
(b) The notification by the commissioner to the carrier of an adjusted RBC report that indicates an event in (a) of this subsection, provided the carrier does not challenge the adjusted RBC report under RCW 48.43.330; or
(c) If, under RCW 48.43.330, a carrier challenges an adjusted RBC report that indicates the event in (a) of this subsection, the notification by the commissioner to the carrier that the commissioner has, after a hearing, rejected the carrier's challenge.
(2) In the event of a company action level event, the carrier shall prepare and submit to the commissioner an RBC plan that:
(a) Identifies the conditions that contribute to the company action level event;
(b) Contains proposals of corrective actions that the carrier intends to take and would be expected to result in the elimination of the company action level event;
(c) Provides projections of the carrier's financial results in the current year and at least the four succeeding years, both in the absence of proposed corrective actions and giving effect to the proposed corrective actions, including projections of statutory operating income, net income, capital, surplus, capital and surplus, and net worth. The projections for both new and renewal business might include separate projections for each major line of business and separately identify each significant income, expense, and benefit component;
(d) Identifies the key assumptions impacting the carrier's projections and the sensitivity of the projections to the assumptions; and
(e) Identifies the quality of, and problems associated with, the carrier's business, including but not limited to its assets, anticipated business growth and associated surplus strain, extraordinary exposure to risk, mix of business, and use of reinsurance, if any, in each case.
(3) The RBC plan shall be submitted:
(a) Within forty-five days of the company action level event; or
(b) If the carrier challenges an adjusted RBC report under RCW 48.43.330, within forty-five days after notification to the carrier that the commissioner has, after a hearing, rejected the carrier's challenge.
(4) Within sixty days after the submission by a carrier of an RBC plan to the commissioner, the commissioner shall notify the carrier whether the RBC plan may be implemented or is, in the judgment of the commissioner, unsatisfactory. If the commissioner determines the RBC plan is unsatisfactory, the notification to the carrier shall set forth the reasons for the determination, and may set forth proposed revisions that will render the RBC plan satisfactory. Upon notification from the commissioner, the carrier shall prepare a revised RBC plan, that may incorporate by reference any revisions proposed by the commissioner, and shall submit the revised RBC plan to the commissioner:
(a) Within forty-five days after the notification from the commissioner; or
(b) If the carrier challenges the notification from the commissioner under RCW 48.43.330, within forty-five days after a notification to the carrier that the commissioner has, after a hearing, rejected the carrier's challenge.
(5) In the event of a notification by the commissioner to a carrier that the carrier's RBC plan or revised RBC plan is unsatisfactory, the commissioner may, subject to the carrier's rights to a hearing under RCW 48.43.330, specify in the notification that the notification constitutes a regulatory action level event.
(6) Every domestic carrier that files an RBC plan or revised RBC plan with the commissioner shall file a copy of the RBC plan or revised RBC plan with the insurance commissioner in any state in which the carrier is authorized to do business if:
(a) Such state has an RBC provision substantially similar to RCW 48.43.335(1); and
(b) The insurance commissioner of that state has notified the carrier of its request for the filing in writing, in which case the carrier shall file a copy of the RBC plan or revised RBC plan in that state no later than the later of:
(i) Fifteen days after the receipt of notice to file a copy of its RBC plan or revised plan with the state; or
(ii) The date on which the RBC plan or revised RBC plan is filed under subsections (3) and (4) of this section.
[2012 c 211 § 8; 1998 c 241 § 3.]