Licensure by interstate endorsement of credentials.
A license to practice as a dental hygienist in Washington may be issued pursuant to RCW 18.29.045
provided the applicant meets the following requirements:
(1) The applicant has successfully completed a dental hygiene education program which is approved by the secretary of the department of health pursuant to WAC 246-815-030
(2) The applicant has been issued a valid, current, nonlimited license by successful completion of a dental hygiene examination in another state. The other state's current licensing standards must be substantively equivalent to the licensing standards in the state of Washington. The other state's examination must have included the following portions and minimum level of competency standards.
(a) Written tests - The written tests include:
(i) The National Board of Dental Hygiene examination.
(ii) A state written test covering the current dental hygiene subjects that are tested for Washington state.
(b) Practical tests - All portions shall be graded anonymously by calibrated practicing dental hygienists or dental hygienists and dentists. The calibration process shall consist of training sessions which include components to evaluate and confirm each examiners ability to uniformly detect known errors on pregraded patients and/or dentoforms. Examiners will be calibrated to the established standard of minimum level of competency. The examination must have equivalent patient selection criteria for the patient evaluation, prophylaxis and anesthesia portions. The Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) practical tests. In lieu of the WREB practical tests, the secretary may accept substantially equivalent tests. The practical tests include:
(i) Patient evaluation clinical competency;
(ii) Prophylaxis clinical competency;
(iii) Anesthesia clinical competency; and
(iv) Restorative clinical competency.
(3) The applicant holds a valid current license, and has been currently engaged in clinical practice at any time within the previous year as a dental hygienist in another state or in the discharge of official duties in the United States Armed Services, Coast Guard, Public Health Services, Veterans' Bureau, or Bureau of Indian Affairs. Verification of licensure must be obtained from the state of licensure, and any fees for verification required by the state of licensure must be paid by the applicant.
(4) The applicant has not engaged in unprofessional conduct as defined in the Uniform Disciplinary Act in RCW 18.130.180
or is not an impaired practitioner under RCW 18.130.170
in the Uniform Disciplinary Act.
(5) Applicants must complete seven clock hours of AIDS education as required in chapter 246-12
WAC, Part 8.
(6) The applicant demonstrates to the secretary knowledge of Washington law pertaining to the practice of dental hygiene.
(7) The applicant completes the required application materials and pays the required application fee. Applications for licensure by interstate endorsement are available from the department of health dental hygiene program.
(8) If the secretary of the department of health finds that the other state's licensing standards are substantively equivalent except for a portion(s) of the examination, the applicant may take that portion(s) to qualify for interstate endorsement. That portion(s) of the exam must be successfully completed to qualify for interstate endorsement and an additional examination fee as well as the licensure by interstate endorsement fee shall be required.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.280
, 18.29.120, 18.29.140, and 18.29.150. WSR 04-20-049, § 246-815-100, filed 10/1/04, effective 11/1/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.280
. WSR 98-05-060, § 246-815-100, filed 2/13/98, effective 3/16/98. Statutory Authority: Chapter 18.29
RCW and RCW 18.20.150
(4). WSR 95-16-102, § 246-815-100, filed 8/1/95, effective 9/1/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.29.045
. WSR 93-06-042A (Order 332), § 246-815-100, filed 2/24/93, effective 3/27/93. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.29.130
. WSR 92-02-018 (Order 224), § 246-815-100, filed 12/23/91, effective 1/23/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.040
. WSR 91-02-049 (Order 121), recodified as § 246-815-100, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: Chapter 18.29
RCW, RCW 18.29.021
, [18.29.]045 and [18.29.]130. WSR 90-23-011 (Order 098), § 308-25-041, filed 11/13/90, effective 12/14/90.]