(1)(a) If, upon receipt of an application by a holder for a refund or return of property, or upon an examination of the report or records of any holder, it is determined by the department that any amount, interest, or penalty has been paid in excess of that properly due under this chapter or that any property was delivered to the department under this chapter in error, then with the exception of amounts delivered by the department to a claimant under RCW 63.29.240
, the excess amount must be refunded to the holder, or the property delivered in error returned to the holder, as the case may be.
(b)(i) Except as otherwise provided in RCW 63.29.200
(2) or this section, no refund or return of property may be made for any amount or property paid or delivered, or for any interest or penalty paid, more than six years after the end of the calendar year in which the payment or delivery occurred.
(ii) The expiration of the limitations period in this subsection will not bar a refund or the return of property if a complete application for such refund or return of property was received by the department before the expiration of such limitations period.
(2) The execution of a written waiver signed by the holder and the department will extend the time for making a refund of any amounts paid, or a return of property delivered in error, during, or attributable to, the years covered by the waiver if, prior to the expiration of the waiver period, a complete application for refund or return of such amounts or property is made by the holder or the department discovers a refund is due or a return of property under this section is required.
(3) For purposes of subsections (1) and (2) of this section, an application for a refund or return of property is complete if it includes information the department deems sufficient to substantiate the holder's claim for a refund or return of property. If the department receives an incomplete application before the expiration of the limitations period in subsection (1)(b)(i) of this section or before the expiration of an applicable waiver period as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, the department must provide the holder written notice of the deficiencies of information in the application and grant the holder thirty days from the date of such notice to provide sufficient documentation to substantiate the holder's claim for a refund or return of property. The department may, at its sole discretion, grant a holder up to an additional ninety days to substantiate its claim and specify in a written notice the expiration date of such additional period. If the holder provides sufficient substantiation documentation to the department within the additional time granted but after the expiration of the limitations period in subsection (1)(b)(i) of this section or an applicable waiver period as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, the holder will be deemed to have provided a complete application before the expiration of such limitations or waiver period. This subsection (3) may not be interpreted as governing the administration of applications for refund or return of property other than for purposes of the limitations period established in this section.
(4) Any such refunds must be made by means of vouchers approved by the department and by the issuance of state warrants drawn upon and payable from such funds as the legislature may provide. However, persons who are required to pay amounts due under this chapter electronically must have any refunds paid by electronic funds transfer if the department has the necessary account information to facilitate a refund by electronic funds transfer.
(5) Any judgment for which a recovery is granted by any court of competent jurisdiction, not appealed from, for amounts, penalties, or interest paid by the holder, and costs, in a suit by any holder must be paid in the same manner, as provided in subsection (4) of this section, upon the filing with the department of a certified copy of the order or judgment of the court.
(6) Interest at the rate computed under RCW 82.32.050
(2) must be added to the amount of any refund allowed by the department or any court. Interest must be computed from the date the department received the excess payment, until the date the refund is issued.
Application—2015 3rd sp.s. c 6 §§ 2101, 2102, 2106, 2108, and 2110: "(1) Section 2101 of this act applies only with respect to gift certificates issued on or after July 1, 2015.
(2) Section 2102 of this act applies only with respect to gift certificates issued on or after July 1, 2015.
(3) Section 2106 of this act applies only with respect to original assessments issued on or after July 1, 2015.
(4) Section 2108 of this act applies only with respect to reports initially due, or property initially payable or deliverable, or other duties that arise initially on or after *the effective date of section 2108 of this act.
(5) Section 2110 of this act applies only with respect to (a) requests for refund or the return of property, where the request is originally received by the department on or after July 1, 2015, and (b) excess payments or property improperly delivered, where such excess payments or improper delivery are discovered by the department on or after July 1, 2015." [ 2015 3rd sp.s. c 6 § 2114.
The effective date of section 2108 of this act is contingent. See note following RCW 63.29.340
Effective dates—2015 3rd sp.s. c 6:
See note following RCW 82.04.4266