(1) A person holding property presumed abandoned and subject to custody as unclaimed property under this chapter must report to the department concerning the property as provided in this section.
(2) The report must be verified and must include:
(a) Except with respect to travelers checks and money orders, the name, if known, and last known address, if any, of each person appearing from the records of the holder to be the owner of property with a value of more than fifty dollars presumed abandoned under this chapter;
(b) In the case of unclaimed funds of more than fifty dollars held or owing under any life or endowment insurance policy or annuity contract, the full name and last known address of the insured or annuitant and of the beneficiary according to the records of the insurance company holding or owing the funds;
(c) In the case of the contents of a safe deposit box or other safekeeping repository or in the case of other tangible property, a description of the property and the place where it is held and where it may be inspected by the department, and any amounts owing to the holder;
(d) The nature and identifying number, if any, or description of the property and the amount appearing from the records to be due, but items with a value of fifty dollars or less each may be reported in the aggregate;
(e) The date the property became payable, demandable, or returnable, and the date of the last transaction with the apparent owner with respect to the property; and
(f) Other information the department prescribes by rule as necessary for the administration of this chapter.
(3) If the person holding property presumed abandoned and subject to custody as unclaimed property is a successor to other persons who previously held the property for the apparent owner or the holder has changed his or her name while holding the property, the holder shall file with the report all known names and addresses of each previous holder of the property.
(4) The report must be filed before November 1st of each year and shall include, except as provided in RCW 63.29.140
(3), all property presumed abandoned and subject to custody as unclaimed property under this chapter that is in the holder's possession as of the preceding June 30th. On written request by any person required to file a report, the department may postpone the reporting date.
(5)(a) Beginning July 1, 2016, reports due under this section must be filed electronically in a form or manner provided or authorized by the department. However, the department, upon request or its own initiative, may relieve any holder or class of holders from the electronic filing requirement under this subsection for good cause as determined by the department.
(b) For purposes of this subsection, "good cause" means:
(i) A circumstance or condition exists that, in the department's judgment, prevents the holder from electronically filing the report due under this section; or
(ii) The department determines that relief from the electronic filing requirement under this subsection supports the efficient or effective administration of this chapter.
(6) After May 1st, but before August 1st, of each year in which a report is required by this section, the holder in possession of property presumed abandoned and subject to custody as unclaimed property under this chapter must send written notice to the apparent owner at the last known address informing him or her that the holder is in possession of property subject to this chapter if:
(a) The holder has in its records an address for the apparent owner which the holder's records do not disclose to be inaccurate;
(b) The claim of the apparent owner is not barred by the statute of limitations; and
(c) The property has a value of more than seventy-five dollars.
Effective dates—2015 3rd sp.s. c 6:
See note following RCW 82.04.4266
Effective date—2004 c 168 §§ 15 and 16:
See note following RCW 63.29.140